1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg laying - behaviors

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chattycathy4444, Jan 31, 2017.

1. chattycathy4444

chattycathy4444 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2015
    I have six hens (orphingtons, Americanas, and Easter). They r 18 months old and went thru their first molt. 3 weeks ago added 4 Isla reds who r about 9 months old. Bit of segregation in the beginning, but everyone seems to be getting along now. Everyone is laying except the Easters who actually laid a few during molt. Any thoughts as to why they may not be laying? Plenty of room in coop and plenty of nest boxes. All appear healthy, good appetites. I'm at a loss....

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Many of my hens that molted haven't resumed laying yet either. Most will get going by March. So yours are doing better than mine. Chickens lay the best during their first season than they start to slow down. My Easter eggers have always been some of the last to resume after a molt and the first to quit in the fall.

3. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio

Ditto that!!!

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Your Easter Eggers need either more light to push egg production or milder temperatures so they are less stressed so egg production can resume. In most areas where hens are penned up it is a lighting issue.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Same here. I have only one hen that has started back up post molt. A pullet, just gave me an egg yesterday and she's 7 1/2 months old.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    My EE's are erratic/inconsistent layers...they seem to start and stop for no reason I can parse.
    Some came back into lay(after fall molt) in December, laid for a week or so then stopped, laid a few in Jan but not so much.
    Your adding new birds causes stress that can affect them all, even tho they are getting along, plus the time of year with the still short days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by