Egg laying chickens wanted

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by homeschooledchicken, Mar 20, 2007.

1. homeschooledchicken

homeschooledchicken New Egg

Mar 20, 2007
    Hi,

I'm new to the site and haven't raised chickens since I was a kid, but am looking forward to learning a lot and getting my girls interested!!! We homeschool and are looking to start raising chickens. We just moved to an acre and now have plenty of room! I just bought two baby chicks and are going to purchase three more this Thursday from our local feed store. I would like to have at least one egg laying age chicken to start enjoying having our own fresh eggs. I have called around and cannot find anyone who sells 6mos-1year old chickens. Does anyone know where I can purchase one or two and possibly have them shipped to me? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. robbobbin

robbobbin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2007
    Hi and welcome.
    what area are you in. Shipping full grown chickens can be very costly. Perhaps someone lives near you, and has what your looking for.

3. shandea

shandea Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2007
    This seems super expensive to me, but they will do it...

http://www.mypetchicken.com/Started_Pullets-c35.aspx

If I were you, I'd search for poultry farms around you and take them some cookies or something, and maybe they'd let you buy just one. [​IMG]

Congrats on your new hobby! I'm about to embark on this as well, although I've never had any experience with it. My son and I are going to pick up the chicks this weekend. He's 4 and is very excited!

4. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Hi, and welcome! I am a homeschooling family also. We got Old English Game Birds from a local man in our area. Just by chance we drove by and he had a chickens for sale sign. They have been great egglayers. We have enjoyed fresh eggs to eat, and also let one hen set a clutch of 20 eggs. They started hatching yesterday. We have 15 chicks so far and a few more eggs pipping.

Shipping a grown bird can be done from some hatcheries, but from what I found, it is VERY expensive to do. You may want to check under livestock in your local paper. Also, putting the word out that you are looking for hens does wonders too.

You may want to post what area you are in because possibly someone on this board may be in your area and have some ideas for you.

5. gurley157FS

gurley157FS New Egg

Mar 26, 2007
    Midlands, South Carolina
    I am a brand new member and this is my first post.

I have to part with 15 2-week old chicks.

I had to order a minimum of 25 to order from the hatchery that I wanted to use. I certainly don't need that many!!

There are Rhode Island Reds, Silver Spangled Hamburgs, Barred Rocks, Silver Laced Wyandottes, and Araucanas. I paid a bit extra to have them vaccinated and all are healthy little chicks.

I cannot deliver but I do live in Sumter which is not too awfully far away.

If you are interested please let me know:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by