Egg laying dwindling?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pardee_Boy, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Pardee_Boy

Pardee_Boy Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Blissfield MI
    Hello I have 3 hens 1 RIR 2 Hybreed's about 30 or so weeks old. Production of eggs was on the upswing when they started a few weeks ago my RIR was the last to start . I was getting at least two eggs a day up to last week. Now i'm maybe getting one a day . I don't know if the shorter days are having anything to do with it since the sun is setting at 730 pm instead of 900 -930 pm ?

The daily routine has been the same no change in feed or anything. Really baffled on this one. One thing I did change was closing the pop door at night to try and keep heat in for them / drafts down. I don't get around to letting them out untill 8 am . They do have a window so they can see the light outside. Any help or info would be great .

thanks!

2. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    Hi. Are they molting? (sheding feathers?)

3. Pardee_Boy

May 3, 2010
    Blissfield MI
    I havn't noticed any extra volume of feathers laying about. They look normal to me. Maybe the startings of a molt? I had almost but forgot about molting . Fall and spring right? I'm going to count feathers be right back lol..

4. Pardee_Boy

May 3, 2010
    Blissfield MI
    nope no abundance of feathers laying about my cochins on the otherhand who are in a different set up have a large amount of feathers they are alot younger.

I have introduce a new mouser ( cat) to the household , she likes the chickens and even tries to sleep in the coop . hens don't seem to be bothered by her at all and even have shared water with her. But yep still one egg again today.

5. jkonkay

jkonkay New Egg

Sep 29, 2010
    I'm having the same problem. I allow my chickens out during the day, but they always have access to pellets. They don't seem to be eating the pellets, but they have a lot of area to move around so I've been assuming they're eating the bugs. In the last week, I've moved down from 5 eggs a day to 1 egg. And they don't seem to be gaining any weight.

6. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Read the other posts there are a lot and even tips

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by