Egg laying everywhere...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WallTenters, Aug 31, 2010.

1. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    These Dominique hens are not forgetting their wild roots! We thought we had finally got them contained to the pasture (which serves as a giant run for them), with the exception of one hen that always ended up in the yard every afternoon. Well, I found her nest the other day - 10 eggs! One of the visiting little 'uns said "oh, there's a hen right there!". In a spot I thought I had sealed off where there's a small hole going into the hay shed, which is open on the other side to the rest of the property.

But we were so wrong... oh so wrong...

Found out this morning that she's not the only hen getting out, she was just the only one not smart enough to go the same way back in. Two different nests found in the brush just on the other side of a supposedly chicken-proofed gate, one with seven eggs, the other with five. We've been getting five eggs a day in the nest boxes, with eight young hens, so I assume they've been laying in those nests for some time. Maybe all eight of our hens have been laying the whole time... tricky birds!!!

So I've done some work today trying to continue sealing off the gates... only to see one of the roosters hop up onto the fence and jump on over.. looks like it's time to trim wings again!!! ARGH!!!! The pasture is so perfect because there's tons of grass and clover and bugs and the big pond they visit to go a-drinking, and it keeps them off the yard. Will the day ever come when they stay in!?!

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    If i were you, i think i would lock the hens in the coop for a couple of days to get their heads rearranged about where you're supposed to lay your eggs. At least then, you wouldn't have to worry about finding eggs in all the wrong places.

3. hennyjenn

hennyjenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    IN
    I agree with the pp. Put a few eggs in the next boxes in the coop, keep everyone in for a few days. Also, consider clipping their flight feathers. It's very easy and will help keep them inside the fence.

4. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    We have clipped feathers before and will do again. [​IMG] Some of the hens do lay in the nest. I'm hesitant to leave them all locked in the coop all day because we've got some younger pullets and cockerels that are getting integrated into the flock, and the hens can be a little peckish towards them if they're all in the coop at feed time. I usually feed the young un's outside and the hens inside, but there are always those that go in and out to the others' food dishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by