Egg Laying Experiment Results

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kudzu vine, May 30, 2010.

1. kudzu vine

kudzu vine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    Olive Branch MS
    I've had a huge problem with egg production. It was down to nothing. I let them out of their fairly large fenced pen into a very large fenced backyard. I placed a 25w light in their house 24/7 (since some were still on roost at 11am.) and didn't feed them until later afternoon when I put them back in pen. Feed was mainly laying pellets and some cracked corn/oyster. From none to 1 egg, now 4-5 eggs. I have 7 hens. This took about 2 weeks. So far, it seems to be working. I live in N. Mississippi.

Kudzuvine Janet

2. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    I've noticed mine don't lay as well either when they "free range" in my large backyard...weird.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  3. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    sorry double post.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  4. kudzu vine

kudzu vine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    Olive Branch MS
    First, I was told to check the yard - I know eggs are hard to find, especially when they are tan and brown. But there weren't any eggs. Is it coincidence that they're now laying? I don't think so, but whatever the reason, whether it's my light, change in feeding, etc., I know I'm now getting eggs and the eggs I'm getting are richer. Good luck everyone with egg laying problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by