Egg laying feed boosts?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by L*A*G*, Jan 11, 2009.

1. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    my main ? is there any kind of natural feeds or seeds that i can give to my girls to help them lay but i have another ? as well.

1) what r some feeds or seeds that i can feed my girls to help them lay?

2) I'm growing a patch of sunflowers this year and what kind is best for chickens (healthiest or good for laying).

3) it has been in 50s 60s and has been 70 deg and my girls WILL NOT LAY [​IMG]

4) what is the diference in laying mesh and pellets

hope that's not too many ?s [​IMG]

Anything is helpful,

Larra

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I add some game bird conditioner to my layer mash to add extra protein. I also feed the extra eggs (boiled or scrambled) back to the flock for protein as well. I also give them a variety of beans.... the dried ones you boil and soak. All are good sources of protein.

Pellets are just a different form. I think there is less waste with pellets than mash but that is my personal opinion from my experience with my flock. I feed both.

Julie =0)

3. L*A*G*

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    anyone else?

4. Comet Mum

Comet Mum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Oxford, NC
    Last year I planted black oil sunflower seeds picked out from a bag of bird food. They grew well. The only problem is that you have to cover the head as they mature with netting or row covers so the wild birds don't eat all the seeds!

As for the girls not laying, the only thing you can do is increase light to 14 hours per day, or let mother nature run the show... Might want to search this sight for light and egg laying.

Best wishes.

5. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    During the snow months I sprout black-oiled sunflower seeds for them. Also feed flax seed and....heck, I feed everything and anything that is not processed. Just give them a rounded-varied diet, works every time.

6. L*A*G*

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    are black oil sunflower seeds in all the bird feeds? I have some wild bird food now and if it is black oil could i sprout that?
    Thanks for the replys,
    Larra

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by