Egg Laying Frequency

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by enggass, Oct 27, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    So I have 5 birds, 3 RIRs and 2 BRs. They began laying almost 3 weeks ago so they are just getting up to steam. So far, the most I have seen in one day is 4 eggs. I am pretty sure they are all laying because I found 2 yesterday after 10:30 AM, and I had 3 this AM before 9:30. They say they lay every 26hrs or so, but today I only got one more after the initial 3 at 9:30. I expected due to the timing to see 5 eggs today. What can expect to see?
    Thanks,
    Newbie Steve

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

If they are just starting, they may lay infrequently for the first week or so. You also may want to check around for hiding places where they could be laying. I found 2 dozen in my tulips before I knew they were laying!.

5 birds=3-5 eggs aday. None are the same. Some lay like clock work, others need a break in between

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  3. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    They are not free-range yet. So they cannot be hiding them on me.

4. lilysmama

lilysmama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    "You also may want to check around for hiding places where they could be laying. I found 2 dozen in my tulips before I knew they were laying!."

I had a laugh at this because that started happening to us. So we try to keep the girls in the coop until the laying is done, the let them out to roam. While it's fun to find the treasure egg, those babies are like gold to us because we only have 4 hens. [​IMG]

5. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Would love some more real data on egg output frequency... Anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by