Egg-laying genetics

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wynette, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I wasn't sure where to post this question, so please move, mods, if it doens't belong here.

I'm wondering about chicken genetics, as far as egglaying goes. Specifically, I have an EE that lays very pretty green eggs of XL size, consistently. What are my chances of her female offspring also laying XL sized eggs consistently? How much does the roo bring to the egglaying characteristics of his get?

Also, this is probably along the same line. If I have a hen that is an excellent winter layer, would her female offspring also be excellent winter layers, most likely?

Thanks!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I read that it isn't necessarily directly passed from mother to daughter but a trait passed down in the family group; even if the mother wasn't the best layer, but came from a family of great layers, her daughter has a pretty good chance of being a better layer than the mother. Not sure how that holds since I dont have that many generations here laying.

EDITED TO ADD: That information came from Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens, I believe.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  3. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I heard it isn't reliably passed on. Wish I'd known that before I let my fowl-tempered "brick house" (duck) set. We were just in it for the eggs!

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I've always heard that egg-laying abilities (and color) come mostly from the rooster, but I think the hen contributes too.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Well, sounds like it's pretty much a poop-shoot then! [​IMG] Thanks, folks!

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, it's pretty much a gamble there. You can however breed "lines" and "families" of birds with a higher or bigger than "average" egg, but there will still be variation among the birds in the group. Plus, full size often doesn't get reached till a full year or two of laying. :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by