Egg laying has become hit and miss

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hollyk, May 7, 2009.

1. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    On Monday I cleaned out the coop. Removed some deep litter, cleaned the roosts, etc. Since then I have only gotten one egg. I should be getting 3/day. Did I upset the ladies and when will they get over it. I also spead DE and lime.[​IMG]

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    It's hard to say. most days I get around 1 1/2 doz eggs. once in awhile I will get 9 or 10 for 2/3 days then it's back up to speed.

3. OKbirdwatcher

OKbirdwatcher Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    NE Oklahoma
    About 3 days ago, I got 9 eggs from 10 hens. The next day I got 4 and the next day 5.[​IMG]

ETA: Today I got 7 beautiful eggs, all laid between 9:00 a.m.-11:30 a.m.

The girls were smokin'![​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  4. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    For 6 days last week I got 4 eggs from 4 hens. On the 7th day one rested [​IMG] Since then I've only gotten 2 or 3 eggs a day. It's getting very hot here so that may be one of the reasons.

5. BirdBrained

BirdBrained Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Alabama
    My girls normally lay an egg a day unless i make changes to the coop,adding hay they skip a day,any construction they have skipped up to two days.Not sure this is the norm for all hens but these ladies havent been handled much before I got them so they tend to shy away.

6. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Thank all, basically chicks are just going to do their own thing. If they were disturbed, I guess they are doing better. This morning I got 2 eggs again.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by