egg laying has slowed WAAYYY down...this is normal right?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hawtchick, Jan 20, 2009.

1. hawtchick

hawtchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have 6 hens who have been graciously giving me eggs daily (6) up until the cold snap we had last week.
    I am get 1-2 eggs per day now.
    I know that egg laying slows in the winter, was I just being lucky with my new layers or should I be concerned?
    They are all eating and drinking and poop looks normal as do all the girls and the roo.

Just being a worried mama.
    Thanks

jess

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

They are just fine. It is their time of year to slow down and get ready for the BIG spring lay.

3. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    As long as your coop is draft free the weather shouln't play a big role in the laying. However the cold snap is a change in their everyday life so it might have stressed them enough to slow up production.

I would add a light and try to keep around 17 hours of daylight. You might want to feed them some shelled corn to help keep them warm. This is high carbs and helps a lot. Just give them what they can eat in five minutes, I like to give mine their corn right before bed as it's the coldest part of the day.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by