1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg laying hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Matt66, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Matt66

Matt66 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2016
    Hello, We are new to raising chickens and just received our 9 hens the other day , they have seemed to adapt to the run and coop very well but the day after we brought them home they layed 6 eggs no problem I thought great that's a good start for 9 hens then today they have not layed any eggs at all . they all seem to be very healthy and eating very well. I was wondering if anybody might be able to give me a clue if this is normal behaviour or something else . Thank you in advance

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] It is normal for hens to stop laying when their environment is changed. The first day or two they will lay any eggs that were in the reproductive tract. The stress of moving then causes them to shut down for a spell. They will eventually resume production.

1 person likes this.
  3. Matt66

Matt66 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2016
    Ok , thank you very much . We thought we were doing something wrong , they layed 6 the day after we got them and we were very happy to see that but the next day they dropped down to 3 and yesterday they only laid 2 . Had a suspicious feeling it was because of the move and transition . Do you know approx how long until they will resume laying normal again ??

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hopefully you are using the same feed that they were on - that will help; with the transition. Day length is increasing (a significant factor in egg production) so hopefully it will not be more than a couple of weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by