egg laying in bantams

Discussion in 'Games, Jokes, and Fun!' started by nitaguru, Feb 17, 2017.

1. nitaguru

nitaguru New Egg

Feb 9, 2014
    If a full-sized hen is known as a good layer, is the same true for its bantam counterpart? We like keeping the banties for the small size, but would like to have a flock of better layers. Right now we have cochins, barred rocks, and a few polish. All banties. Egg-laying is not very regular, even in the summer. Thanks.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    There is so much that goes into the production of a particular bird and breed is just one part of that puzzle. Generally speaking, bantams are not production birds in regards to egg laying rates, even those that are the bantam version of a known good production large fowl breed. If eggs is an important factor it might be time to consider adding a few large fowl production birds to the picture and maintain your bantams for more decorative purposes with the eggs you do get from them being an added benefit

3. nitaguru

nitaguru New Egg

Feb 9, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. We had assumed that breeds known as good egg-layers might be the best bantams to get for that purpose, but since it didn't seem to be proving out that way I thought I would ask. It's interesting that it's not really the case, since they must have used the large breed in order to come up with the bantam version. I guess in breeding for size they lost that trait along the way. Good to know, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by