Egg Laying in Bedding *update

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countyroad1330, Jan 17, 2008.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    I have bedding in my chicken's sleeping spots. They don't sleep on roosts, just in the bedding (their choice). Two of my hens just started laying, but they scratch around in the bedding and cover the eggs! I've seen them sitting on the eggs, but I don't know if they will dig them out of the bedding (I've been doing it). Any suggestions what I should do?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    If you catch them doing it I've pick the pullet up before plus the egg and placed her in a nest box...takes a few times but they get the hang of it....

3. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    none of my girls use a nesting box - they all perfer to lay in a corner of the coop in a nest they have made themselves in pine shavings - I gave up trying to use boxes as long as they lay in the coop I am fine- I have found at least 6 eggs in the same nest corner !!!

the only one who will not lay in the coop is my banty she goes under the coop

Julie

4. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Do you have some fake eggs in the nest boxes? If not, that might help. [​IMG] If you are around you could pick them up and put them in the nest boxes to help show them where to lay. Of, course they all have a mind of their own and will lay where they want to.

Chickens are so funny! I have one SLW named Psycho that just perferes to lay in the back corner of the coop. She's the only one out of 15 pullets that won't use the nest boxes. She makes a nice little nest in the wood shavings. I tired putting a crate there for her, but she decided to lay in the back center, so I moved it. [​IMG] I might try a basket or open top nest for her next.

5. countyroad1330

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    I don't have any nest boxes, just the bedding. My breeders are just two to a pen, hen and roo. And they like to sleep close for warmth; I'd hate for them to not be able to do that. Or for them both to try to get in the box and crack the eggs.

6. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    They can still snuggle & sleep together in the bedding for warmth if you install a nest box. The nest boxes are only for them to lay in and not sleep in. You actually don't want them to sleep in the nest boxes, so you won't get poo on your eggs.

7. countyroad1330

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    Do they not sleep on the eggs when they're broody?

8. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Good point. You know, I think when they are broody they do sleep in there. I haven't had one go broody yet. I've always wondered what everyone does to keep the nest box stuff clean without disturbing the broody hen. Is your hen broody?

BTW- Congratulations on getting married! [​IMG]

9. bartryon

bartryon Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2008
    Question why is it that my chicken sleep in my nest box
    They a nice hen house but the all sleep in the nest filling them up with poo

10. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:I would try to break that so you won't have poopy eggs. They may be sleeping in there to stay warm if it's cold. Is their roost placed higher than their nest boxes?

Last month a caught a few trying to sleep in them, so every night I'd go out there and remove them from their warm comfy nest and place them on a roost. I think they have finally got the idea. It was frustrating!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by