Egg laying issue

jamesdeanreeves

Chirping
Apr 21, 2018
Howdy, folks!

Posting this to see if anyone has had a similar situation.

Got a girl about 4 years old and she's started to slow down - expected. However, the eggs she now lays quite often are broken in the nest. A few times, the egg is intact, but with a semi-cracked dimple in one side. The pics of the egg attached here show the cracked area, which is also always lighter in color. Also to note is the egg is not round - kind flattish on the side of the color lightness and the crack.

I'm sure she's getting plenty of calcium - eating the same as the other girls and has access to oyster shells. She looks healthy - clean feathers & bright red comb. She's perky, but occasionally has a bit of a limp. She's a Wellsummer.

I'm just wondering if she's developing some kind of reproductive-tract issue now - a poultry vet told me this is about the age they develop those.

Any ideas anybody?

Thanks!
-J

Attachments

• 20220831_170937.jpg
    20220831_170937.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220831_170901.jpg
    20220831_170901.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 3
Is she under stress? How is the temperature? Many diseases and deficiencies can cause shell problems. Any sign of respiratory issues?

4 years old and she's started to slow down - expected. However, the eggs she now lays quite often are broken in the nest. A few times, the egg is intact, but with a semi-cracked dimple in one side. The pics of the egg attached here show the cracked area, which is also always lighter in color. Also to note is the egg is not round - kind flattish on the side of the color lightness and the crack.
Looks to be a bit slab sided and mended.
Possibly age related.
There's not a lot that can be done. Sometimes as a hen ages, their reproductive system starts to fail.

Thanks, all. I'm thinking it may be age related, and now with six new hatchlings all grown up and in the flock, I think stressed from overcrowding is adding to it. I gotta get rid of 3 of the new guys (all roosters).

Back
Top Bottom