egg laying issues please help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by justin84119, Jun 13, 2011.

1. justin84119

justin84119 New Egg

May 31, 2011
    My white leghorn has been an awesome layer. I got her about a month ago, she is 2 yrs old. (her name is Americus) She is a pretty consistent layer. As a matter of fact I only had her 8 hours when she laid her first egg for us. She usually takes one day off per week. In which case her egg the next day is jumbo. The last few days she has had bright red blood on her eggs. She won't lay eggs in the nesting boxes provided but right in the middle of the floor of the coop, no matter how hard I try to get her to lay in the box. She did use the nesting box for about a week but the 8 week old chicks started sleeping in the nesting boxes. I have shooed them away whenever I catch them. I just moved a nesting box up higher in the coop, and less than 2 hours later, there the chicks were sleeping in it! UGH!!! ok well here is the real problem, today I was not able to get to the coop to check for an egg, until afternoon. I looked everywhere. No egg, It took me cleaning out the coop to find the remains of what used to be an egg. This one also had blood on it, this makes 4 days in a row that the eggs have had blood on them. So what is causing it? Then tonight as I was closing up the girls I noticed that they were eating something on the now clean floor. It was for all appearances an egg, with no shell to be found, anywhere! So far the only layer I have is Americus. I did pick up 2, 18 week old chickens last week, 1 is a wyandotte and the other is a barnevelder but I don't think they are old enough to lay yet. So could Americus have laid a second egg today? and where in the world was the shell? and why have the previous eggs been bloody? and now what? they ate an egg, albeit had no shell? what advice can you offer me? Any help would be super appreciated! This is my first time ever with chickens. Below is a picture of our coop.
    [​IMG]]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. justin84119

justin84119 New Egg

May 31, 2011
    [​IMG]

3. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    [​IMG]

I'm not a expert at this but I've had some light "spotting" on the outside of an egg before. My girls have survived....but they have lots of food, water, treats, oyster shell and are in good health(no mites/lice or ailment).

My concern is not having a quarantine time for the new chickens you introduced to your flock. They should be seperated completly for at least 2 weeks. Then if no symptoms of disease placed within site of your flock or divided with a fence. Adding new chickens to your flock could be stressing some of your flock or the new ones. They need to establish their pecking order. I wouldn't let "babies" or young hens mix in with older girls either.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by