Egg laying location

Molliep2

Songster
5 Years
Mar 8, 2018
One of my hens, my Rhode Island red laid her first egg yesterday in the run behind the stairs going into the coop. I found another egg this morning in the same spot. I was wondering what I should do? I was thinking about making a nesting box and putting it in the run since it's a little hard to go and retrieve the eggs from that spot as I don't have a walk-in run. Thanks!

Put a nest box wherever you want her to lay (the closer to her "chosen" spot, the better, at least for now. You can put an egg, or a dummy egg, or even a golf ball in it to show her what it's for. Once she starts using the box, you can move the whole thing to wherever you ultimately want her lay. Don't move it too far each time, though. Keep it within sight for her, or she'll go back to her old "special place!"

I have a black fake egg, I place it in nests I dont want them to use. So far once this black fake egg has been placed in a hidden nest, they have never used it again.
Make an access into the run, you will need it anyway! Nest boxes with fake egg (golf ball etc) for them to use.
A note on the fakies, I have moved the fake eggs (golf balls) around, the nest with the most in it became their new fav nest,,,

I let my small flock(5) forage for half the day. Last week I heard an egg called wondering what was up spotted my mercauna coming out of the grasses next to the driveway. Three eggs found. The next day the same thing happened. She laid in the grasses. I left them all in the pen for the weekend hoping she would learn where to lay. The birds went on strike with a small lay. Last night I found a blue egg one the roosting bars. Now what? Leave them in the pen for another couple days? They have been dutifully laying in the nest box since mid-May so I do not know what happened. Any ideas?

Sometimes brand new egg layers just don't really know what they're doing. Are all your other chickens laying in the nest boxes where you want?
Make sure your preferred nesting area has lots of material to fluff around. Straw or grassy nest pads are better than shavings... chickens like to shape their nest the way they want.
And fake eggs help to show them where the eggs belong.

I have a black fake egg, I place it in nests I dont want them to use. So far once this black fake egg has been placed in a hidden nest, they have never used it again.
Make an access into the run, you will need it anyway! Nest boxes with fake egg (golf ball etc) for them to use.
A note on the fakies, I have moved the fake eggs (golf balls) around, the nest with the most in it became their new fav nest,,,
So interesting! I guess chickens are afraid of black?

Did something scare them off the nests? Or, did something around the boxes change, like lights, or bedding materials? Maybe they like the privacy. Have you tried curtains? Even a flap of plain burlap over half the opening might help.
No-nothing changed. I have an 'eglu', which I love and with the loss of three hens in mid-May I close them into their coop at night. The have a large covered pen. It is one of the walk-ins that attaches to the coop. The hens have always seemed just fine with the set-up although they love to be let out during the day. I wondered if the 'line' was too long for the Amercauna to wait to lay so she went to the grasses. I have let them out today. I got three large eggs, including from the Americauna, so I guess the strike is over.

Did something scare them off the nests? Or, did something around the boxes change, like lights, or bedding materials? Maybe they like the privacy. Have you tried curtains? Even a flap of plain burlap over half the opening might help.
Thanks! They have one nest box in their coop and always have just hung around outside the pen waiting their turn. I will see what happens in the next couple of days.

@Beekissed had her flock go on strike for laying in the coop. She finally figured out they were afraid of a black hose that was dangling down one side of the coop. Guess it looked like a black snake which had in the past taken a few chicks! She removed the "big black scary thing" and the girls were putting their eggs in the nest box the next day!

New layers take a while to get trained to the nest. I would not put a nest box in the run, unless that's where you would like to be collecting eggs.

Back
Top Bottom