egg laying machine

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sagr75, Nov 4, 2014.

1. sagr75

sagr75 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2013
    central Louisiana
    I had aquired a cross breed chick about twentytwo weeks ago. It is a cross between some type of cochin frizzel rooster and a easter egger hen. This chicken is an egg laying machine, in its first six days of laying it has layed five pretty greenish-blue eggs. This little hen has retained the small size and frizzel gene from the rooster (it is a big puffball) Really very little in appearance from the easter egger hen . Is this this unusual for a combination like this to lay colored eggs and so many of them?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It's always hard to tell what is "normal" for a crossbreed. But, I wouldn't have suspected a Cochin cross to lay that well. Most Cochins aren't great layers.

The green color is not a huge surprise. Crossing a green egg laying bird (the Easter Egger) with a brown egg laying bird (the Cochin) usually results in either green or brown eggs.

That mix sounds very pretty! Good luck with her.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto the post above...

...and the first 6 days are not necessarily an accurate indication of long term production.
    Great that she's off to such a good start tho but don't be disappointed if she hits some glitches in the next month or so.

4. sagr75

May 13, 2013
    central Louisiana
    Well she kept laying well (five out of seven days) until two days ago. now she has gone broody on me. I have had her in a cage since I found out and will try letting her out in another couple and keep my fingers crossed.Do you think this will be long enough?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are you sure she's truly broody?
    Usually 3 days and nights on the nest indicates a serious broody.

My experience went like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest, I put her in a wire dog crate with smaller wire on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a few bricks right in the coop and I would feed her some watered down crumble a couple times a day.

I let her out a couple times a day and she would go out into the run, drop a huge turd, race around running, take a vigorous dust bath then head back to the nest... at which point I put her back in the crate. Each time her outings would lengthen a bit, eating, drinking and scratching more and on the 3rd afternoon she stayed out of the nest and went to roost that evening...event over, back to normal tho she didn't lay for another week or two.

6. sagr75

May 13, 2013
    central Louisiana
    Yes I am pretty sure. After two days I let her out of the small cage I had her in and put her in the run she did spend a little time in a dust bath but then tried to get back into the hen house only to find I had the door closed, she then started pacing back and forth in front of the door acting very upset. I then put her back in the cage and will try again each day. Thanks for the info on your experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by