Egg-laying machines defy all rules!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mulewagon, Dec 27, 2010.

1. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Buff Orpingtons rule. Here we are in the shortest days of the year, overcast, covered with ice and snow. They have no lights, no heat, and it's been too icy the last few days for me to get the new bag of layer pellets down the hill, so they're living on scratch grain, BOSS, and alfalfa pellets.

And they're still dropping eggs like slot machines! Eight eggs from eleven hens yesterday [​IMG] My only problem is getting all those eggs back up the hill, intact, in my coat pockets...

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    My leghorns have frostbite and are covered with dirt (due to the bag balm I put on the combs that managed to get everywhere).. Still a big white perfect egg each day from all of them even in the wind and snow. [​IMG]

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    We were getting record numbers (12 to 14) for three days straight then dropped back down to eight yesterday! Wonder what today will bring?

4. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

im looking at getting a buff oprpington maybe in the spring...where did you find yours? Im in alabama too

5. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    I got a batch from MacMurray Hatchery last March.

6. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I'm with you, my buff's lay everyday no matter what, huge eggs too and they are so friendly. I find my BO and Barred rocks to be the best layers and most social birds in the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by