Egg Laying Mystery!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jsevcheck, Apr 1, 2015.

1. jsevcheck

jsevcheck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2015
    Southeast PA
    I have four hens, at point of lay, 2 RIRs, a Buff Orp and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. I'm getting 1-2 eggs a day, but I have NO IDEA who is laying them. There is usually a big egg and a slightly smaller egg, but the color is identical. One of my RIRs is doing the squat when I get close to her. Do they still squat after they begin laying? I've seen both the Wyandotte and one RIR go to a nesting box during the day, but have not confirmed if they are actually laying. Any tricks of the trade to determine who's laying and who's not?

Here is a pic of some eggs:

[​IMG]

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Yes, they will squat when actively laying.

Inspect their vents. The ones currently laying should look more relaxed and moist than the ones who have yet to start.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Short of catching them in the nest, it'll be very hard to tell who is laying what...and even then hard to differentiate those eggs.

To see who is laying ans who is not, here's a couple tips:

Comb and wattles:
    Plump, shiny red - usually means laying.
    Shriveled, dryish looking and pale - usually means not laying.

2 bony points on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

4. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    If it's any help at all, my RIRs lay the darkest eggs of the hens you described. My Buffs lay medium brown eggs and the silver laced should lay a light brown egg. However, that does vary a bit from bird to bird.

I can tell who lays what in my flock, just not which exact bird. I have two cochins, two BO's, two Buff Brahmas, one EE (green eggs), two RIR's and seven chicks that should start laying around July/August. Those are 1 Black Sex Link, 2 EE, 1 BO, 1 Black Australorp and 2 Barred Rocks.

Looking forward to seeing what those eggs look like!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by