1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg laying/nesting behavior

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by johari, Aug 28, 2013.

1. johari

johari Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    How do I interpret this behavior:

My khaki Campbell is a year old at least. I got her about a week ago. Since her eggs may be fertile (she was kept with a male) I've just left her eggs in her nest she's made. There are five eggs.

This morning I went out to check the nest and there was one egg outside it and the other four she had covered up with straw. She was outside the nest and coop, and is now happily free ranging, but she does have access to the nest.

Should I put the one egg back? Is this typical nesting behavior?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. johari

Mar 30, 2013
    [​IMG]

Eggs in nest. I put the fifth one back. I covered them back up after I took a picture.

3. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Usually if Momma Duck kicks out an egg, it is because she knows something we don't. I have put eggs back inside nests, if she has an issue with it being there, she'll kick it out again. If you keep seeing the same egg kicked out over and over, you might as well toss it.

4. johari

Mar 30, 2013
    Ok. Is her covering the nest with bedding normal? And when about should I expect her to actually start sitting on them? She hasn't been to visit the nest at all today.

5. muskuslove

muskuslove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Nederland, Den Haag
    They usually will lay up to 15/20 eggs, then start sitting on them. But sometimes they will start sitting on them at 8 or 10 eggs.
    For now she will go her own way. Once a day she will lay an egg.
    What climate are you in? Winter is coming and it might get to cold outside now for the young ones...

6. johari

Mar 30, 2013
    I'm in Virginia, near the coast. It stays pretty warm here till at least the beginning of November.

7. muskuslove

muskuslove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Nederland, Den Haag
    It will be a close call then. She hasn`t starting sitting on them . There are not enough eggs yet. So it will be at least september when she starts, then it will be the end of october they will hatch.
    Maybe next year you can buy some fertilized eggs... Or are you planning on keeping them inside?

8. johari

Mar 30, 2013
    Oh, I'll probably set up a broody pen inside if it's too cold.

9. johari

Mar 30, 2013
    And there is only a chance that they are fertile. I'm not sure. I should candle the ones she's laid soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by