Egg laying odd

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 5 Bird Bob, Apr 16, 2016.

1. 5 Bird Bob

5 Bird Bob Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2015
    I blocked my nesting boxes before they started laying. All was good after sending a stressful roo away. Now "Stringcheese" is laying in the coop under lawnchairs or wherever. Giant two and three yolks or softshells, no rhyme or reason. The only thing that might affect her is the new wild birds around this spring. Can this stress them out that much?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    The rooster stressing them and the change in flock dynamics now he's gone may be to blame. Put some golf balls or fake eggs in the nest boxes to "show" her where you want her to lay, hopefully that will help some.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I’m not sure at all of what is going on. Is she the only one laying or are the others laying also? Are the others laying in the nests if they are laying? Was she laying regular eggs and has this changed or is she just starting to lay? How long ago did the rooster leave? How often does she lay these weird eggs?

It’s not unusual for a pullet just starting to lay to produce some really weird eggs or to drop them about anywhere. It is unusual for all the pullets or hens to do this or for it to last more than a couple of weeks. A hen’s internal egg making factory has a lot of parts, sometimes it takes a while for her to work all the kinks out when she first starts to lay. An occasional oops happens. I don’t know enough about your situation to be able to even guess what is going on.

4. 5 Bird Bob

5 Bird Bob Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2015
    Last night I had to carry her to the coop. She was standing in one spot with her butt raised up and wouldn't respond to any usual things like calling for a treat or to come in for the night. Today she was dead in a nesting box. She was a loved pet. What is egg bound and if it happens again what cam be done? (If that's what it was)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by