egg laying on roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gibsterl, Aug 7, 2013.

1. gibsterl

gibsterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2012
    New Hampshire
    So...I have a hen that is laying eggs periodically while roosting, I am not sure but I suspect it is my NHRed that was egg bound a month or so ago with a broken soft shelled egg, there is plenty of oyster shell available and she is acting well otherwise, she I suspect is about 2 yrs old. So, essentially I find a smashed egg on the poop tray about 2x a month. Any ideas about what might be happening and if I should worry about anything??

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    How sure are you it is the one that was egg bound, do you have any pullets starting to lay that could be doing it? Otherwise, it sounds to me like the one is still having problems related to the egg binding (or whatever caused the egg binding), and her system has not gotten back on track yet. As long as you have her on a proper diet and watch her, don't know what else you can do. I am assuming you don't have them under lights this time of year to make them lay. Would think she is at high risk of starting internal laying or peritonitis etc just because she has something off already. As a NHR she is one of the better egg layers and if she is a hatchery bird they tend to be prone to egg related problems as they get older because they are bred to produce a lot of eggs in a few years.

3. gibsterl

gibsterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I can't be absolutely sure it is her, I do not have any pullets that are just starting to lay. She is not a hatchery bird, she is getting layer pellets and has free choice of oyster shell and they all get the occasional treat. What I find interesting is none of the eggs found on the roost are soft shelled....just layed during the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by