Egg laying on the ground

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Froghorn, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Froghorn

Froghorn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    I have a couple of hens that are just starting to lay. They were laying in the boxes to start but are now laying in the dirt in the run or exercise area. What can I do to stop this? Why are they doing it? These eggs are filthy. Can I clean them off? I know your not suppose to but they are so gross and dirty and sometimes muddy. I wouldn't want to keep them if I can not clean them some how without causing problems with the egg. Any suggestions on these topics?

2. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    You may want leave one or two eggs in some of your nesting boxes. This will sometimes give the girls a hint as to where they should lay. Even a golf ball works, although I have found a real egg works better.

As for cleaning.......if you really must, give them a wash with some warm water, and maybe add in a little bit of hydrogen peroxide. Get each egg washed and dried as fast as you can. You can also rinse fruit and vegetable in a water/hydrogen peroxide solution. Just do a google on it and you'll be quite amazed.

Good luck [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Honestly the problem should fix itself. I've had plenty of new layers have an occasional egg on the ground, below the perch, or even just feet away from the nesting box. Just as long as the boxes at some point in time have eggs in them for her to see again, she should go back to her normal habit. It might take a couple tries though.

4. Froghorn

Froghorn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    One day I found 4, then 2, and it varies. I hope your right about occasional and that it should fix its self. I am glad to hear of the peroxide solution. I have been throwing them because I was afraid to clean them. I will try the eggs in box.
    thanks all

5. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! Eggs in the box worked for my chickens. I had to move them into their new home after they started laying and at first the eggs were all over the place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by