egg laying on the roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by soggy, Oct 25, 2014.

1. soggy

soggy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    Langley BC Canada
    I've recently had to block off my nesting boxes at night to prevent my hens from sleeping in them (a habit they formed from poor and inexperienced coop building on my part.)
    I've since altered the roosts added more and made them all higher than my nesting boxes.
    It would appear one of my chickens are dropping eggs while sleeping on the roost. Not sure what to do as I'm enjoying the clean nesting boxes that are usually laid in during the day. I'm sure the hens are as well. Not real sure how long it will be to train my chickens to not sleep in the nests. Or am I going about this all wrong? And or all suggestions will be helpful.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    It sometimes takes chickens awhile to get their laying schedule timed right (especially new layers or layers just starting up again) usually when they drop eggs at night is just their timing is off, it has nothing to do with the nesting boxes... chickens won't get off the roost at night to lay so they just drop the eggs where they are.

3. JeanR

JeanR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Montana
    The hen that drops an egg at night, has a reproductory system problem, maybe not serious at all. It takes about 25+ hours to produce an egg (for most hens). So the laying time gets a bit later each day, then a skip for a day or two. She may just be out of sinc and so her egg is finished during the night and just is layed from the roost. Or she is having trouble passing the egg and it isn't in the nest at the nornal time. Not to worry, unless the hens can reach that egg under the roost and start eating her egg==or the egg is soft shelled, which does indicate a problem (not usually treatable) with her system. She most likely will get back on schedule--hers..... Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by