1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg laying or not

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by susansteve, Sep 19, 2007.

1. susansteve

susansteve New Egg

Sep 19, 2007
    We started off with 12 chicks laying 11 eggs daily between them:cool:
    We added 10 more chicks, now we only have 4 or 5 eggs between the lot of them:(
    What have we done wrong:/

HEEEEEEEEEELP?

Sue in desperation

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Sue......I dont think you did anything wrong...lets see...how old are the newbies?? How old are the layers? How long ago did you add them? It could be that the older ones are in a molt. Dureing this time, the egg production slows down so thier body can concentrate on feather makeing. Have you noticed quite a few more feathers laying around?? Has it been extremely hot there? Its ok....I truely believe they are probably molting..happens this time every year.

3. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Sue, welcome to BYC!

Totally a guess here, but maybe your original flock is feeling stressed by the new group. I'm thinking if you give them a bit of time they might settle back down and start laying. Did you keep the new group seperated for a while before introduction? (just ruling out illness here..). How long have the two groups been together?

On the other hand, as justusnak said, it could be a moult.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by