Egg laying outside of boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peepmommy, Feb 23, 2012.

1. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    I have one hen who insists on laying on a window sill in my barn (we turned one stall into a coop). It is about 6 ft high and stone. Sometimes the eggs will fall off. Is there anyway to get her to lay in the boxes? Most of the other hens will lay in the boxes, but sometimes I will find a stray egg in another stall. It's like an easter egg hunt every day! Any hints to move her or should I just let her go?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Can you sit something on the window sill that would block her so she can't get on there?

Or, can you just put a nesting box on the window sill if it's wide enough?

3. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Some chickens never seem to learn it seems with mine too, they can't hold it and lay right there on the ground... I mean, my sister and I saw one running then stop and lay its egg...

A way I've tried to encourage laying in the boxes it to put some eggs in there and lure her in with a treat or something yummy she likes. If you see her try to make a mental note on the box that's good because she's thinking about it. If there are hens higher than her in the "pecking" order she might not want to go in the box if the highest is in there sometimes too. I recommend you get another box if that happens.

4. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    I think i will try a nesting box on the sill and make a mental note that when we are ready for chicks, she may have to be skipped or I will worry about the babies falling!

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Try blocking the widow sill off with a screen so she can't get up there. What are you planing to do With the chicks when you get them that you would worry about them falling off the window sill?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by