Egg laying outside

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by riversedgefarms, May 24, 2017.

1. riversedgefarms

riversedgefarms Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2016
    since it's been nice we've been letting our chickens out earlier in the day. They have the nesting boxing in the coop and some go back in to lay. However some just find a random spot outside and lay the eggs there. Is there a way to prevent that from happening as we don't know where they are laid?

El Rancherito likes this.
  2. El Rancherito

El Rancherito Just Hatched

Apr 22, 2017
    Riverside, CA
    One of my chickens did that for a while. The same spot every time so I put her eggs in the nest and left them there for a day. That way she would learn to lay in her nest. She hasn't looked for another place ever since.

3. WesleyBeal

WesleyBeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2016
    Douglas County, Minnesota
    Are you using nest eggs? (Fake eggs in the nest) That might help.

I let mine free range, and have been pleased to not find (yet) instances of them laying outside. It's a risk, of course.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You may need to lock them up for a few days to retrain them to lay in the nest box.

5. riversedgefarms

riversedgefarms Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2016
    I keep golf balls in the nesting boxes as we were having trouble with them cracking eggs but I don't have actual fake eggs.
    We have also tried keeping them in the coop but it doesn't make a difference. As soon as they get back to going outside it starts again.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How long after you started giving them more free range time did they start laying outside of the coop?

How long do you keep them locked in the coop/run?
    It can take a good week or more to 're-home' them to laying in coop.

How many nests for how many birds.....and how big is coop in feet by feet??
    You maybe be dealing with some crowding issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by