Egg laying Problem!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by curdog32, Sep 10, 2009.

1. curdog32

curdog32 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2009
    george west, tx
    Our two red sex link pullets were doing great the last few weeks on laying an egg daily. Now, one of them hasn't layed an egg in Three days and I am a little worried about her because she is our best layer. It started raining about 3 days ago instead of being insanely hot. Can the weather change be playing a factor in her not laying for the last three days?

2. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    could they be hiding the eggs somewhere if they both arnt laying then just maybe

3. curdog32

May 24, 2009
    george west, tx
    That's what I thought at first, but there isn't anywhere for her to hide them. We keep them in a coop with a run and there aren't any eggs in sight. Looked in every possible place.

4. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i find eggs in my run all the time they are really good at hiding them.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The weather can sometimes disrupt them.
    How old are your hens and what are you feeding them?
    Could she be going into a molt?

6. curdog32

May 24, 2009
    george west, tx
    She's about 20 weeks old and right now we are still feeding them the starter? grower food because we have 14 week old pullets with them and were told not to change to the layer feed until the other pullets are 16 weeks.

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i don't think feeding the starter food could be the culprit. Just make sure you provide the crushed oyster shell for the ladies. We have six Red Stars in with a BO and EE hen. Had been getting 8 eggs a day like clockwork. Now getting maybe 5-6. i'm thinking the changing weather may be effecting their egg-laying. It's still warm during the day but cooling off more at night. i've also been checking the nest boxes regularly to make sure no one is eating the eggs. They will occasionally eat an egg if it's soft-shelled and breaks on its own.

But, i wouldn't worry about it too much. Could be the change in weather, or like gritsar said, she could be going into a molt.

8. hungryhensfarm

hungryhensfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Alabama
    My girls are moulting right now so I haven't been getting any eggs either. I feel your pain.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Hmmm, too young for a molt. I'd still blame the weather change and keep an eye out for egg eaters.

10. claytonhain

claytonhain Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    the starter feed is making her lay less eggs..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by