Egg laying problems??

LNGSMITH

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2016
I have a little chicken that I think is having egg laying problems. I get home from work at 10 am this morning and since than my chicken has been in the nesting box since than. When she did come out of the box it was for a very small time frame and she kept puffing her feathers out and seemed to be trying to poop. She did seem to also have the penguin stance that some are mentioning is associated with egg binding. I am currently getting her on tums right now... does anyone have any advice they can give me on what could be going on? Others have also mentioned warms baths; what would be the best way to give her a bath??

I have a little chicken that I think is having egg laying problems. I get home from work at 10 am this morning and since than my chicken has been in the nesting box since than. When she did come out of the box it was for a very small time frame and she kept puffing her feathers out and seemed to be trying to poop. She did seem to also have the penguin stance that some are mentioning is associated with egg binding. I am currently getting her on tums right now... does anyone have any advice they can give me on what could be going on? Others have also mentioned warms baths; what would be the best way to give her a bath??
Is she a new layer?
Check out her vent and abdomen.

No she has been laying for about 3 weeks now, out of all my chickens she was the first to lay and she is the smallest. I gave her a tums tablet and warm bath and felt her abdomin and I could not feel an egg.. and she laid an egg on the 25th but not yesterday..

Has she laid every day since she started? they usually do not.
They need to take a day off once in while....but due to her behavior I'd just keep and eye on her.
How did her vent look?
She may be passing a soft shell egg, which can make them act weird.

At first she was laying every other day for 4 or 5 days than she laid every day. About a week and a half after that she did take a break and didn't lay for one day, the day before that though she laid 2 eggs. I haven't checked her vent yet, but I did give her a warm bath, that is our next step.

Just leave her be. She may just be working on passing a double yolker. Disrupting her may just make things worse. It is normal for new layers to be erratic. They often lay in starts and stops, and can even skip a few weeks in between rounds of laying.

Back
Top Bottom