Egg laying problems.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bscorpio73, Nov 14, 2010.

1. bscorpio73

bscorpio73 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have a couple of young hens that are having problems laying. My Easter Egger has been laying eggs for a couple of months now, and for the past week or more, she has not laid one egg. As far as I can tell, she is fine. She is eating, and running around with the other chickens. I know the days are shorter, but am new to this. I have noticed some mites or lice near her laying area. I have dusted and plan to clean out the coop tomorrow, and lay more DE around the yard and coop.

Also, my Black Copper Marans has had trouble the past couple of days and she has only been laying for a couple of weeks. Yesterday, I noticed an egg with no shell at the bottom of coop ramp, and I suspect it was hers, as I saw her in nesting box most of the day. She was in coop this morning as well, sitting on my RIR's egg, but she did not lay an egg. Is there any signs or trouble I should be looking for that indicates a problem with either of these hens?

I also have a splash marans that should be laying any day now.... My other Easter Egger, and my RIR are laying fine, with RIR laying nearly every day, and my EE laying sometimes every other day.

Thanks so much. [​IMG]

2. cluckiemama

cluckiemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    we went a few weeks with our regular layers just not laying. Not sure if it was the weather changing, or if they were laying somewhere in the yard and we couldn't find them. Now, all of a sudden, they're back to laying in the boxes in the coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by