1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg laying question banty vs standard

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by conny63malies, Jan 27, 2009.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Because of space isues i think i will choose bantys this year.
    Here is the question if you compare a regular EE with a banty EE or any other Egglayer that comes in bantam. DO the bantys lay as well as their big sisters? Or are they more ornamental? Last year i had a d' uccle that layed pretty well, so i kind of hope that other minis do so too.

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    They lay at the same rate, but the bantams eggs are two maybe three times smaller then the standard size egg of the same breed. So in order to have the same egg yield you need two bantams for every standard hen.

3. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

[​IMG] My bantam orps and bantam frizzled cochin hens all lay eggs the size of a small store bought egg. Pretty good size for bantam eggs. Also, the bantam eggs will have less white in them...you get more like 50% yolk, 50% white. Whereas the standard sized eggs have much more white in them. Hope that makes sense! [​IMG]

4. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:I have seen/used the eggs my banty layed . They were about 33g.But thats the only banty i ever dealt with.

5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Master S.M.C :

They lay at the same rate, but the bantams eggs are two maybe three times smaller then the standard size egg of the same breed. So in order to have the same egg yield you need two bantams for every standard hen.

Chicken Math is 3 Bantys = one Standard [​IMG]

My Little Frizzle lays a something equal to a small egg , but she does lay every day for me.​

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  6. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Wow...my girls must have some "ju-ju" in 'em or something! [​IMG]
    It only takes 2 of their eggs to equal a standard size egg...no joke. I took one of my frizzled cochin's eggs over to Miss_Jayne's house last week and she was even surprised at how big it was. [​IMG] And my bantam orps just started laying, so their eggs are only gonna get bigger. [​IMG]

7. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:Thats what i figured . 33gr per egg would make one L or XL egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by