Egg laying question. I know I know been asked a million times

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blitz1027, Nov 22, 2011.

1. blitz1027

blitz1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    I have 3 Buff Brahma hens and 2 Buff Laced Polish hens all of them turned 6 months old last Sunday and still have not gotten egg 1. The birds all appear to be healthy so I have no idea why they wouldn't be laying yet. I've read the links in the topic thats been stickied but I couldn't find the answer. I feed them laying pellets from Tractor Supply Company and scraps from the table like fruit and salad. Any ideas?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

When they are ready..... They'll let you know...... almost every day.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

You did twist the vent switch didn't you?

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Every Chicken matures at it's on rate. Also due to the season they may not start laying till spring.

5. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Mine were later than I would have liked.....the wait is not a fun part of raising chickens! But you will get an egg one of these days.....then everyday will be like an Easter egg hunt never knowing what you'll find. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  6. HorseFreak777

HorseFreak777 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Every hen is different. My Blue Orp is over seven months old and still not laying! She's getting ready though....she squatted for me a few days ago!![​IMG]

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I have three Welsummers knocking on 34 weeks right now... and still not laying! The rest of the mixed flock is laying up a storm, I split an order with someone who has a Welsummer from the same hatch and her bird isn't laying yet either, and no health issues. The only explanation is that it's breed-related. I wish I had more encouraging news than "it'll happen when it happens" but that really is how it goes. IDK on the Polish but Brahmas are definitely known for being sloooooooooooooow to mature.

8. kimf

kimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Seminole County, FL
    Quote:[​IMG] funny!!!

9. froghollowfarm

froghollowfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2008
    As I look at these responses I have to ask this question: Do ALL chickens have to start laying eggs sometime? I have to black australorps that are seven months old and have done little more than watch the other chickens lay eggs

10. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Eventually as long as they don't have some random/rare terminal illness. We have 2 australorps, one of them started laying as the second hen in a flock of 9, the other one waited well over a month after her before laying her first egg and they have the exact same hatch date.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by