Egg laying question?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ubumartin, May 2, 2017.

1. ubumartin

ubumartin Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2009
    Raynham, Ma
    I have 3 buff orpingtons which are about a year old. If I get eggs, I either get 0, 1 or 2, never 3 in one day, Wouldn't I get 3 eggs once in a while if all 3 are laying? I don't know which ones are laying the eggs, I think they are all laying. I know I could put dye on their vents but I really don't care that much. I am just curious as to why I have never had 3 eggs in one day ever. Thanks!

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens don't lay an egg every single day. So you wouldn't get 3 per day

3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Most generelly they should all be laying,has to be some reason they stopped,by now she should have already layed,but some just take longer then others,give her some time,and are you sure its a her?

4. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

A hen takes lonher than 24 hours to produce another egg. I've had chickens for 2 years, and I don't ever get the same amount of eggs per day, as I have hens

5. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    not every hen lays every day,but for their age generlly they would lay most days,maybe every few weeks one takes a break or all.I have been raising them for awhile,and most generelly we get about rhe same amount of eggs everyday occasionally it'll low down or if they are molting or it is cold out,they wil stop,but generelly good producing,healthy,young hens will usually lay most days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by