Egg laying question

Joken

Songster
May 11, 2020
Chickens are 19-20 weeks old and no eggs yet. They are out of their Run/Coop all day every day and today I found a hen on top of our haystack that is undercover. She looked like she was looking for a nesting spot. Should we keep them in the coop/run until they stary laying so they will use the nesting boxes? Thanks from smokey Oregon.

What breeds? That's pretty young for many breeds. Leghorn and sex links may start that early.

Pullets will start checking out nest sites up to a month before they start. I will put fake eggs in the nestboxes to show them a safe place to lay.

I personally would keep them in the run or coop unless you have older hens showing the younger ones where to lay the eggs.
What breed do you have? Are the squatting down?

I always keep my pullets contained in the run/coop until they lay the first egg then I let them free range some. I feel like it makes it easier to lock them back up at night because they know that's where home is and other than a determined silkie, None of them lay outside of the nesting boxes. I also put a fake in the boxes when it's about time for them to start so they see that is where eggs are supposed to be. Chickens tend to like to lay eggs with other eggs.Monkey see, Monkey do. I've also seen my young hens practice sitting on the fake eggs and it's rather comical to me. They'll also peck and scratch around the fake egg and I feel like that keeps them from damaging their own eggs because when see that it's nothing they want to peck at they leave the real eggs alone once they start laying; The novelty has already subsided.

But that just me, I'm sure others have different techniques.
I bet that haystack looks like a nice big comfy nest! :D

Back
Top Bottom