Egg laying question!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hope0491, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Hope0491

Hope0491 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    VA/PA
    Hey Everyone!

I have 6 white silkie hens (all over 11 months old).

They are under artificial lighting, they have a good layer formula and they haven't been "moved" from their enclosure in over 3 months. I had 1 hen lay about 3 weeks ago every 2 days or so - that only went on for about a week, then it stopped.

I don't know why they aren't laying, have any suggestions?

The only logical thing I could come up with was the temperature... It's been fluctuating so rapidly around here from 30 deg's - 65 deg's... it's crazy.

I remember last year my silkies started laying at the beginning of February.

Thank you in advance for any input! [​IMG]
    ~Lacey

2. sunnysidecluckers

sunnysidecluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

from what I have read about them from various sites is that Silkies aren't very good layers. Some might disagree but I was on a site that rated the egg laying and they were under poor for laying. I have one silkie on order just for a pet and not for the egg laying.
    Maybe yours will lay well. Maybe others who have lots of silkies can help you on this matter.

Good Luck

3. Hope0491

Hope0491 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    VA/PA
    Quote:Oh yes, I agree, they aren't very good layers. They are more so for pet and show - although, I do hatch and sell their eggs quite often.

I usually get an egg every day or every other day from mine when they ARE laying - it's just the problem that they haven't started yet. And they are pretty touchy, but over the past few years I've learned what they like and don't like.. but, this laying season has got me stumped!

Thanks for the input! [​IMG]
    ~Lacey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by