Egg laying question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by czwally, Jul 4, 2010.

1. czwally

czwally New Egg

Jul 4, 2010
    Hi everyone. This is a newbie question. We have 5 production reds and 7 rsl all purchased mid March. The one rooster of the group is topping the rsl's but not the production reds. I noticed this happening July 2nd. My question is: Are the rsl pullets ready to lay now or is this just a young rooster practicing his duties? Thanks.

Picture added. Check end of post.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. SAORSA

SAORSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Wine Country
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from central California !

I can't answer your question but didn't want your first post to go unanswered.
    There is a search box in the upper right hand corner.
    You can put just about anything in that box and get a host of information on any, and by that I mean A N Y question you have.

On the other hand, someone will probably give you an answer if they catch this post and see that you are new. [​IMG]

This is the absolutely most fabulous site !!!! [​IMG]

3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    My boys seem to mate with the lower hens first. The hens that are more dominate will usually take longer to accept the rooster. Just my on personal observation.[​IMG] Or yours could be ready to lay. Sometimes a question is hard to give a definate answer.

4. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Your girls should start to lay around mid August. Give or take two weeks ether way.

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Hi, I am new at this too. I have 12 10 week olds, 6 RIR and 6 Buff O's. My one rooster is a RIR. Of course he isn't old enough yet to start 'doing his thing', but I have wondered if he would have a preference for the hens that are the same breed as he is or if he would just 'hop on' whoever happened by! [​IMG] They were supposed to all be hens but he was missed somehow. Now I am glad because I do want to have some babies...but not if I have to do all the work! [​IMG] So far Rudy Roo has not started crowing or showing any real 'rooster behavior' other than being a little bossy now and then. I know yours are older than mine (I got mine 4-22 at 3 days old), has he started crowing, bossing the ladies around, protecting or herding them? Also, I don't know that just because your roo is acting like he's old enough to breed that it means your hens are ready to lay. I know...I am just raising more questions and giving no answers. So, I guess time will tell!

6. czwally

czwally New Egg

Jul 4, 2010
    1st egg 07/05/10

[​IMG]

7. SAORSA

SAORSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Wine Country
    That is a beautiful egg ! [​IMG]

8. czwally

czwally New Egg

Jul 4, 2010
    Egg came from 16 week old rsl. Have now collected a total of 5 eggs since Sunday 07-04. We have 7 rsl hens all the same age so some are not laying yet, but hope it won't be long.

9. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Dang you are one lucky chicken owner! I hope mine start soon.... but then I would have 14 laying and my DH says my obsession will be filling up the fridge fast! He keeps making comments about my out of control garden.... 5 cucumber plants and I am picking about 1 bushel every 3 days or so!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by