egg laying question.

what color are their eggs? How big would they be in comparison to a chicken egg?

Hmmm, I have runners which, like all non-muscovy breeds, are descended from mallards (I am told) but a bit different. Runners are about 3.5 pounds each, so that is not much larger than a mallard, is it? Let's hope some mallard folks weigh in soon.

My runners' eggs are between 45 and 60 grams most of the time. They are light tan to light green colored.

Are you giving her extra calcium?

i switched her over to layers pellets last week. Is there something else i should add?

I think the layer pellets should do it. I use a mix of layer pellets and maintenance ration, plus some oyster shell free choice. I started adding in some layer pellets when I began to suspect that someone was not eating the oyster shell. Silly ducks.

I also like to give dandelion greens, which have some calcium in them.

And I add a handful of cat kibble, for calories and protein. But, really, just the layer pellets are a good complete feed for her. Is there a drake?

yes there is a drake. would the eggs be fertile?

My dilemma is my ducks are with my lone goose at the moment. My goose seemed to be making a nest around it. However the egg looks too small to be hers. It would be her 1st egg so it could explain why its smaller.

Last edited:
Ah ha, I begin to see the concern . . .

First eggs do tend to be smaller, but there is quite a range of small. Most of the first eggs from my eleven were small to medium chicken egg size, and now they are more large to jumbo size. Twice we have had "pullet eggs."

One of the conundrums of having a drake and a laying duck are that she needs loads of extra calcium, but that much calcium for him or for younger, non-laying ducks, is not so healthy. As things are, however, you will hear a number of people poo-poo that concern, saying they have always fed all their birds layer ration all their lives with no problems
hu.gif

I go with my instincts on a number of these kinds of things. My runners' sizes vary a bit, so I reckoned they would eat what they needed of the oyster shell and other items I offer - kind of a cafeteria style feed program. If the drake has access to other sources of food, like vegetation, insects, maybe even some rolled oats, that would effectively reduce the calcium proportion of his diet, which would be easier on his internal organs.

Oh, and the eggs could very well be fertile. I have an all-girl flock right now, so I am not so well versed with details about fertility (such as, is a drake as potent right after he reaches sexual maturity as he ever will be, or does he become moreso as he gets older).

Last edited:
So if my mallard is laying the eggs and my goose is taking them.... Will my goose be able to brood them without crushing them? Shes a brown Chinese. If their raised by her is are the ducklings still going to to think their ducks?

Back
Top Bottom