Egg laying question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by natedawgg94, Mar 15, 2012.

1. natedawgg94

natedawgg94 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    I have 5 RIRs that are suppose to be 26 weeks old but i am only getting 2 eggs every other day. Is this normal? They get laying pellets, plenty of water, have lots of room in my chicken tractor, and they get scratch along with other treats from time to time. I just started back into raising chicken we use to raise OEG birds but due to heavy hawk population in my area they wouldnt last long.

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Somewhat normal. As daylight gets longer they will settle into a really good laying pattern. Things will pick up soon........Pop

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Typical of birds just coming into point of lay. At 26 weeks,they barely got their feet wet at this point. Within a months time you will see that they will be pumping them out once they get the egg laying machine broken in. Don't be surprised to get a fart egg of two along the way.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  4. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    My 14 pullets are the same age as yours. Currently I am getting 4-6 eggs out of 14. The first to lay in my case were two of the Dominiques, closely followed by some Australorps and one Light Brahma.

We'll try to remain patient but I do lecture all the girls everyday on the need to give back and stop freeloading. They're just rolling their eyes....[​IMG] Typical teenagers.

5. natedawgg94

natedawgg94 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012

Yea i give mine a good chatting every afternoon they are like little puppies follow me every step. I did pick up a monster roo he is suppose to me a americana and brahma mix. i can take a pic if anyone thinks they can confirm this??? I also have 10 chics that turned 8 weeks this past monday. Then i took the kids with me to tractor supply not knowing they had baby chics so we ended up with 6 more 2 barred rocks and 4 pullets. they are a week old today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by