egg laying question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jwells84, Aug 16, 2013.

1. jwells84

jwells84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2013
    I have two red sexlink hens, one of which has started to lay eggs, she layed them for 2weeks, one a day. and seems to have stopped.. I have not had any in counting today 3 days..

they have been staying under our singlewide trailer house more often(fixing that thisweekend) so I checked underthere No egg. Is it possible she has stopped laying for some reason.

Her diet has not changed, except for maybe eating a bit more cat food...( they run the cats off of it,i've been tirng to not unpen the chicken till the cats are done) thanks for anyideas,

I will be looking around for hidden eggs just incase she is hiding them from me.. anyway to prevent this??

Thanks!

2. redstar14

redstar14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Have you had a temperature surge and are they free ranging

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    This is not uncommon for a new layer. It takes a few months for a hen's system to get everything worked out so in the beginning odd looking eggs, shell-less eggs and irregularity are pretty normal. Keep an eye out for those hidden nests but I would not worry yet.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  4. jwells84

Aug 2, 2013
    yes they are free range, No temp surge, it has been hot here all summer, however yesterday and today have been cooler. all the eggs I have found were normal, size shape good yolk.

5. redstar14

Aug 13, 2013
    Quick weather changes sometimes make hens stop laying but they may be hiding their eggs

6. jwells84

Aug 2, 2013
    If I were to leave them penned for a day or two, do yall think they'd still lay (assuming they are hiding the eggs) or would they wait till I turned them lose to go lay eggs?

Thanks!

7. redstar14

Aug 13, 2013
    They'd probably if hiding eggs is the problem

8. jwells84

Aug 2, 2013
    ok. I think i'll just leave them penned for a day or two and see what happens. thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by