Egg Laying Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RIArmySGT, Aug 19, 2013.

1. RIArmySGT

RIArmySGT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    My my 6 ladies are 18 weeks old, is there anything I have to do to get them ready to start laying? I have hay in the nesting boxes already Thanks

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    18 weeks is still pretty young for most breeds. 24 weeks tends to be a good average but even up to 8 months is still in the normal range for most. Waiting is always hard but unfortunately ladies just mature in their own time. Look for bright red combs and waddles and squatting behavior. When you start to see those signs then it will be soon.

3. RIArmySGT

RIArmySGT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    LOL sorry big time newbie? Can you explain what this is? I get the squatting behavior

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    The pullet will squat down, spread her wings and raise them at the "shoulder", and may even stamp her feet a bit. It's breeding behavior. She's giving the signal that she's ready for the attention of a rooster. Often starts a week or 2 before the first egg.

5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    The comb is the red thing on her head and the waddle is the red thing on her neck. When birds are young and not sexually mature they are small and a light pink color. When the reach maturity and the point of lay the comb and waddles will get larger and turn a much more bright red color.

If you scroll all the way down this article there is a comparison photo. I have seen better pictures than that but didn't save the link unfortunately.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/02/when-will-hen-begin-laying-eggs-what-to.html

6. cverba

cverba Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2013
    Albany, OR
    What breed do you have?

My rhode island red started laying at 18 weeks. Then stopped for a few days after laying for over a week. Her comb has gotten very soft and almost floppy. My other RIR lady I think has now laid 2 eggs at 19 weeks. She does a cha cha stomp dance if you try to pet her which is hilarious. Both girls do the "submissive dance" which is ya know, for sweet rooster loving. But your hand pat signals the same thing. If you see them nesting more or looking for spaces, they might be looking (or practicing) so those are other clues.

My amerucana isn't laying yet or doing her special dance. I suspect she'll be later on.

Also, watch what you're feeding them. Won't do you any good to have weak egg shells so make sure they are starting to get layer food at this point and an extra source of calcium (kale, spinach, ground eggs shell, oyster eggs to list a few).

Here's a pic of each of my ladies-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by