egg laying question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wolflady2223, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Wolflady2223

Wolflady2223 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    I recently received 6 month old hens from a woman and it's my first time keeping chickens. I hav 2 buff orpingtons 2 aurecanas (sp) a barred rock a Rhode island red. I just got them 2 days ago and the first afternoon found 2 Brown eggs....not sure who laid them. But none of the other's ate laying. Is this due to time of year, age?? Any idea who lays the Brown eggs. If the season is an issue is there anything other than heat lamps I can do to promote egg laying? Thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They may all lay brown eggs, or you may get another shade from the "Auracanas." There is nothing you can do to change when they start laying. Adding light to increase day length to about 14 hours may to some extent increase the number of eggs they lay in winter. They do not need a heat lamp; it is detrimental, actually. For added hours of daylight, about a 40W incandescent bulb on a timer set to turn on around 3 AM (or whatever makes their day 14 hours long) is probably the most common approach.

Good luck with your new flock, and welcome to our forum!

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It may be due to the time of year, and their age. At six months, some birds will be laying, but many won't. Chickens don't lay very well in the fall and winter because of decreasing daylight hours. Of the breeds you listed, all except the Araucanas will lay brown eggs.

4. Wolflady2223

Wolflady2223 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    Thanks for the information!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by