1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg laying question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hejlherd, Feb 11, 2015.

1. hejlherd

hejlherd New Egg

Jul 12, 2014
    I have 8 hens that have been laying for about 2 months. Some lay in nesting boxes and a couple lay under a brick structure that hold their water source. The last 2 days there have been 2 eggs out in the middle of the coop in the dirt...why?

2. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Maybe they couldn't wait for the nest to be empty? I'm picturing a hen with her legs crossed banging on the coop door shouting to her sister to hurry up.[​IMG]

I have 17 hens and from time to time, despite being about a year old, I still get a random egg in the dirt. It just happens sometimes.

3. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Is someone hogging the favorite nest box all to herself? The previous poster jokes, but I have a hen that will sit on the nest looooong after she's laid. Once you remove her egg, she'll get up and leave but I've gone in and seen two other hens pacing and clucking just waiting for her to get off the nest so they can use it. And I've found a random egg in the middle of the floor a couple of times too. I think they just couldn't hold it in anymore and laid it where they stood. It doesn't seem to matter that there are 3 other nests right next to that one. They all want the favorite one. I've even seen one girl climb up on top of the other while she's sitting in the nest.

4. JadedPhoenix

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    I've actually had 5 hens standing in a perfect line outside the coop while waiting for the favorite spot. One of the funniest things to watch. I feel like leaving miniature magazines taped on the walls for them to read while they do their business. [​IMG]

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How many nests do you have?
    Might try putting some fake eggs in a couple of them.

6. JadedPhoenix

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Sometimes, an over-abundance of nests means nothing to the hens. I have half as many nests as my hens and usually, wherever the first egg is laid for the day, that is where ALL of the eggs will laid. LOL!! It is so fun discovering which nest was the preferred one for the day.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That's why the fake eggs help....spreads the love, and reduces the stress and squabbling.

8. JadedPhoenix

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Somehow, my girls know what eggs are reall. They always push the fake ones out! LOL!!!

9. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    My hens that lay the big eggs hang around inside the hen house spreading gossip for several hours, then jump in the nest for another hour or 2 to do their business & recuperate. Takes about 3 hours to lay an egg.
    The hens that lay the small eggs go in the henhouse, jump in a nest, lay an egg and jump out. They do it quickly, takes about 5 minutes. So they might lay them in the middle of the pen, in the middle of the pasture, on the picnic table, or under a car, wherever they happen to be when they go into labor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by