egg laying questions--new chicken momma

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by slickchick, Jan 2, 2008.

1. slickchick

slickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    Mertztown, Pa
    Hi all! I'm new to raising chickens. I have 4 buff orpingtons and 3 EE's. The buffs are a little over 6 months old. The EE's are about 5 months. I finally got my first egg about 3 weeks ago. There is only one buff laying, the others have yet to. I usually get 1 egg a day from her. Every now and then she skips a day. She really loves laying when the bedding is fresh! Anyway, when should I expect the other buffs to lay? I just want to make sure I am doing everything right for my hens. The eggs are really delicious and the shells are so firm! As far as the bedding, she won't lay in the milk crates that are in the coop. She has picked a corner of the coop to lay. How can I get her and the others to lay where I would like them to? Thanks for any information and advice!!!

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Stick some golf balls or something similar in the nest. If you see her trying to lay where you don't want her, pick her up and set her in the nest.

Matt
    Morganton, NC

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  3. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Ha good luck on getting them to lay where you want them to, mine lay where they want to, some times it's in a corner other times it's in the nest box. Welcome to BYC and they should all start laying in the spring when it warms up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by