Egg laying questions

chickmomma03

Songster
Aug 8, 2015
North Carolina
First time chick owner. My big chicks are only 4 1/2mos, and one laid their first egg yesterday! I was surprised because I didn't think they would start laying that early. So I have a couple questions. The egg was really pretty perfect, no soft shell/missing shell or anything (if she/they have laid before I haven't found any sign at all, shell or no shell). The egg was a little small and maybe a little porous, but otherwise looked pretty good :)

Should I still expect it to be a little sporadic right now or will she start laying every day?

Do I really need to switch to a laying feed right this minute? Don't they still have a little growing to do?

Also, her first egg was white, not what I expected. I thought my girls would be laying brown, and a couple other colors. Should I continue to expect white eggs or does it change as she "perfects" laying them?

I have a rooster, if I decide to hatch eggs how long should I wait into them laying before pulling eggs for hatching?

Do infertile eggs have an air cell in them?

Small and sporadic at first, first eggs are usually the darkest than they lighten up, so if you're getting white it will stay white.

No rush to switch to layer, just offer oyster shells in a separate bowl.

I would wait until they are laying fairly consistent, and wait until the eggs get some size before trying to incubate them.

All eggs have air cells.

No real big rush, it will take a bit before they really start to crave them, within the next week or two you should be fine.

it might have to wait a little longer (until the beginning of the month). I just had a filter bust under the house so that has to be fixed. Ugh. :/ It's always something! :(

Are you sure if she has laid a single white egg all her eggs are going to be white? All of my chickens are suppose to lay colored eggs. I have a Delaware (which are suppose to lay brown), black cochins (which are suppose to lay brown), golden sex links (which are suppose to lay brown), a buff orpington (also suppose to lay brown), and then my EE (too young to lay yet, who knows whether blue/blue green/green until they do). I'm pretty sure my Delaware laid the egg yesterday, but not 100% sure.

Some of those breeds lay a real light brown color egg that can look white, otherwise I don't know, maybe a fluke.

I wasn't sure so I went and checked online to make sure I could find the color eggs again. I was a little puzzled. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully hers won't stay white.

First eggs can be missing the brown coating that makes white shelled eggs brown and blue shelled eggs green.

So it may come later... or you may not that the breed of chicken you thing you do.
Can you post a pic of the bird?

The one I suspect laid it is Ghost, the white one, she was sold to me as a Delaware, this place I bought from also told me my EE were Ameraucanas (purebred) and that was a lie (somehow a RIR ended up in with the EE too), so who knows, I know for sure what breeds the others are:

Back
Top Bottom