1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg laying questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickmomma03, Sep 4, 2015.

1. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    First time chick owner. My big chicks are only 4 1/2mos, and one laid their first egg yesterday! I was surprised because I didn't think they would start laying that early. So I have a couple questions. The egg was really pretty perfect, no soft shell/missing shell or anything (if she/they have laid before I haven't found any sign at all, shell or no shell). The egg was a little small and maybe a little porous, but otherwise looked pretty good :)

Should I still expect it to be a little sporadic right now or will she start laying every day?

Do I really need to switch to a laying feed right this minute? Don't they still have a little growing to do?

Also, her first egg was white, not what I expected. I thought my girls would be laying brown, and a couple other colors. Should I continue to expect white eggs or does it change as she "perfects" laying them?

I have a rooster, if I decide to hatch eggs how long should I wait into them laying before pulling eggs for hatching?

Do infertile eggs have an air cell in them?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Small and sporadic at first, first eggs are usually the darkest than they lighten up, so if you're getting white it will stay white.

No rush to switch to layer, just offer oyster shells in a separate bowl.

I would wait until they are laying fairly consistent, and wait until the eggs get some size before trying to incubate them.

All eggs have air cells.

3. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    I thought so on the air cells, but wasn't sure. I'll have to get some oyster shells, I haven't bought any yet.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    No real big rush, it will take a bit before they really start to crave them, within the next week or two you should be fine.

5. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    it might have to wait a little longer (until the beginning of the month). I just had a filter bust under the house so that has to be fixed. Ugh. :/ It's always something! :(

6. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Are you sure if she has laid a single white egg all her eggs are going to be white? All of my chickens are suppose to lay colored eggs. I have a Delaware (which are suppose to lay brown), black cochins (which are suppose to lay brown), golden sex links (which are suppose to lay brown), a buff orpington (also suppose to lay brown), and then my EE (too young to lay yet, who knows whether blue/blue green/green until they do). I'm pretty sure my Delaware laid the egg yesterday, but not 100% sure.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some of those breeds lay a real light brown color egg that can look white, otherwise I don't know, maybe a fluke.

8. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    I wasn't sure so I went and checked online to make sure I could find the color eggs again. I was a little puzzled. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully hers won't stay white.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    First eggs can be missing the brown coating that makes white shelled eggs brown and blue shelled eggs green.

So it may come later... or you may not that the breed of chicken you thing you do.
    Can you post a pic of the bird?

10. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    The one I suspect laid it is Ghost, the white one, she was sold to me as a Delaware, this place I bought from also told me my EE were Ameraucanas (purebred) and that was a lie (somehow a RIR ended up in with the EE too), so who knows, I know for sure what breeds the others are:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by