Egg Laying? Raspy Voice?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by NeoRoey, Aug 29, 2010.

1. NeoRoey

NeoRoey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Well, let me give you a quick run-down of my button quails. I have three of them, 2 males and a female. The males get along fine, female gets [​IMG]'d from one of the males. They live in a cage like the ones you see at Petco that have the really big parrots. We can't get another female button quail and it would cause a huge mess of trouble to separate them. 1 cage makes enough of a mess as it is. Anyways, there is a lightless heat lamp on one side, right next to a small wooden house that one of the button quails would often sleep in. At night, they are together under the heat lamp. We live in LA, so it's really hot here. Here is a video where you can kind of see the cage. I wanted to remove the towel in the back, but my parents are against it. If you hear that low, raspy, growl-type sound, it's coming from the black button quail (Tac). I don't know what's wrong with him. His feces looks normal and he constantly [​IMG]s the female button quail (Chickapee). Onto another topic, I think Chickapee is pregnant. Just for the record, it's Chickapee, not Chick Pea. Anyways, even if she isn't pregnant she will be. What do I do in the meantime to prepare? I don't want her to be egg bound or something (sorry if egg bound means something completely different than what I'm referring to, I'm hardly even a novice at this). She looks very big, even though she's about seven weeks older than the others. My main questions are-
    A) Is the strange, growling voice a bad thing?
    Defense) Other than that, nothing seems to be wrong with the button quail making that sound.
    B) Is my female button quail pregnant?
    Proof) Refer to the video (cinnamon-breasted/second button quail)
    C) How do I prepare for her to lay her egg?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  2. lagpmgdsls

lagpmgdsls Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    they don't get pregnant......they lay fertile eggs that can hatched if set properly.

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:A) the strange growling voice is the male. They make those sounds as a come hither voice OR to let other males know to stay away.
    B)Quail do not get pregnant. They lay fertile eggs. They lay infertile eggs too if no male is present.
    C) You cannot prepare a hen to lay an egg. She will lay an egg or not. They do not need to lay an egg a day so she is not eggbound if you see an egg every other day. It's due to lighting when the egg gets laid every day.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Oh, and females are generally larger than males.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by