Egg laying recipe from the Old Farmers Almanac

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dtrain28, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Dtrain28

Dtrain28 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Anyone ever use the "Poultry Raisers Egg Food Powder" from the Farmers Almanac

Red Pepper powdered 2 ounces

Allspice powdered 4 ounces

Ginger pwdered 6 ounces..........sift the mix and then mix one tablespoonful to every pound of feed and fed 2 to 3 times a week................I was reading an old Farmer's Almanac that belonged to my great grandfather and I came across this recipe..........Just wondered if anyone uses it.

Waiting for my Buff to start laying...... My Production Red started @ 16 wks

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Interesting...

3. grandads

grandads Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2008
    no but when my layers start to lay off i do give them 16oz cayenne pepper to 5# cornmeal mixed with water, like you would make cornbread.

4. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I put crushed red pepper sprinkled in goodies on occasion [​IMG] They gobble it up.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    All the ingredients are Good Things, don't see how it could hurt and who knows how much it could really benefit? Folks have been keeping chickens for centuries, often these old-time methods are surprisingly helpful.

Thanks for the great info on this your Very First Post, Dtrain28! [​IMG]

6. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    No, but i am CERTAIN that some of us are so desperate we will try [​IMG]

7. erindubb

erindubb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    what is up with the red pepper? Why do so many people give it to them? Is it good for them or do they just like it?

8. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm keeping this recipe in my journal... along with my recipe for lye soap and drawing salve! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by