Egg-laying rooster! Can silkie hens have a walnut comb?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by phoenixbantam, Oct 7, 2009.

1. phoenixbantam

phoenixbantam Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    West Palm Beach, FL
    I am really baffled... I have what I believe to be a silkie rooster and a sizzle cockerel, they both have huge walnut-looking combs (is that the right term?), but today there was 2 eggs in the chicken coop... I am bewildered. Can a silkie hen have a comb? Now that I think of it, he/she has never crowed, but the huge comb is suspicious. I have had silkie hens in the past and they never had a comb. I am confused right now [​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    All Silkies have a comb, but the hens usually have smaller ones that you don't see much b/c of their poofy feathers.

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    We need pictures over in the 'what is our gender' section of this website! [​IMG]

4. darkroo

darkroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2009
    Sandy
    [​IMG]
    Kelly this is my first year with chickens in the back yard and I got six dark (I think black) silkies and six mixed straight runs. Only two of the six silkies turned out hens but one with the big hair do and the other had more of a male hair do both are bearded but the one with the small do has more of a comb. would it be more of a variety difference? I have pictures on my BYC page.

5. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Quote:The bigger comb is considered a lesser quality trait and is frowned on when you're showing Silkies. The fluffier they are the better for showing also. However, as pets it really doesn't matter.

6. darkroo

darkroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2009
    Sandy
    [​IMG]
    Thank you Kelly but pets all my girls are working girls [​IMG] specially now that I broke my three broodies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by