egg laying signs

My one red sex link was squaking really LOUD while I was doing yard work and getting ready to leave. I had put her and the other 2 in the tractor. So I gave them some snakcs and she still kept yakking! So I decided to let them out for 15 mins. Sarah immediately went to the side of the house digging a hole to sit in, then somewhere else. Since I knew I had to go soon, I told then to "go inside" their cue to the coop. She RAN to the coop, dug a hole is trying to make a nest. It's funny. She also pushing hard, I can see her feathers twitching. I think an egg is on it's way! Hopefully she'll be ok so far she gathering little pieces of straw around her while she sits. Too funny! Unless the other ones laid and this is her first egg, she must be #1 mom and she is the largest... I just found her sitting on the egg!!! Will add a pic!

For the last two weeks We have been watching the girls closely. also been coplaining about no eggs. thier combs & wattles are red there is no red around thier eyes, maybe its just the breed we have BSLs but we never seen them squat not even once. We were suprised to get our first egg yesterday. So you will get your eggs when the combs & wattles are bright red or who knows!. Also we started giving them layer, oyster shell 1 week ago, have no idea if it helped or not. the wait seems to take forever but it will happen soon. good luck.

I see the red faces, and around the eyes sometimes. But then it seems to go away.?
I am just so anxious! They're 16 weeks old. I know it may not happen for a while... but i'm out there checking under the tree, and under the rose bushes 10x aday!

Back
Top Bottom