Egg laying stopped.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by quails-101, Sep 9, 2016.

1. quails-101

quails-101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    All the sudden all my bird stopped laying eggs my muskovy ducks, chickens, turkeys and cutornix quail the only birds that are laying are the booted bantums and the guinea fowls I don't understand I didn't change feed. Could it be molting season.

2. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Did anything stressful happen, weather change, predator attack, exc.? Are their any other symptoms, can you tell if any are losing feathers? It is molting time for most chickens in the fall. So hopefully that's all that it is.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  3. quails-101

Apr 16, 2016
    There was not any attacks but I got some more pheasants but they are not in the same coop as the turkeys and the rest. I put the bob white quail coop next to the cutornix quail coop they can't really see each other I don't think that could be a problem. I just don't know why the guinea fowl and booted bantums are still laying eggs.

4. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Do they look like their molting?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Again you are asking about multiple species in the chicken forum......they all have slightly to very different habits and needs.

If your chickens are about 18 months old, there's a very good chance that they are molting or getting ready to molt.
    If you free range your chickens there's also a chance that they are laying out in the range area.
    If your chickens are confined and don't have enough space, that stress can also cause laying to stop.

You need to provide details on ages, housing, population numbers, and feed separately for each of these species in order to obtain viable answers.

6. Jenny1967

Jenny1967 Just Hatched

Oct 4, 2015
    Contrary to what I've read here, my Old English Bantam hen laid an egg a day during the winter. I tucked her eggs under a Wyandotte that was broody and 5 chicks hatched! Now, at about 1 and 1/4 years old, this Bantam has stopped laying eggs. Nothing new in the pen - no stress that I can tell. Her "mate" still seems active but possibly is too small to fertilize the larger Wyandotte hens and Leghorns. I have a broody golden Wyandotte, but have to take the eggs from her believing none have been fertilized!

Basic question, why did my Bantam stop laying in the summer? Why was she so productive last winter?

Thanks for any help!

Jenny

7. quails-101

Apr 16, 2016
    N they are free range but for some reason they don't go far at all from the coop when they were laying eggs they just went and layed it in the nesting boxes. I didn't really want to go through all the species and list the same problem. Yes they are all under 18 months old except for my northeastern wild turkey but it isn't her season maybe it is the same with the black spanish turkey. I do have chickens that lay eggs in the winter but I resently sold all my older chickens

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Then I guess you don't really want to learn the differences between all the species that you keep, that's kind of sad.

9. Jenny1967

Jenny1967 Just Hatched

Oct 4, 2015
    No, they are penned since we have an large dog that would tear them apart! They do have a large space though with 5 laying boxes. Then tend to use the same one though, switching from time-to-time. Bizarre! Oh well, maybe she'll get started again as the weather cools...

10. quails-101

Apr 16, 2016
    Oh I know very much about my types of birds and so much more. I research on my free time I could be a bird expert I just don't know what could possibly be causing it. but they are picking the egg production up now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by