egg laying stopped

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jim-22, Jan 4, 2011.

1. jim-22

jim-22 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2011
    Cape Cod
    Hi All,
    I am a new member. I got 4 approximately one-year old hens (RI Red) in October and they live in a rather large chicken tractor. They get the good laying pellets and high-quality table scraps. I also give them oyster shells. I am aware of the various causes of the slowing of egg production. I do not need a lot of eggs and mine were laying about 2 eggs per day right into the cooler weather and shorter days. I did not add light because I had enough eggs coming in as we approached the solstice. I gave them a heat source on the water when we hit freezing. Then one day they STOPPED laying. My diagnosis was that it was probably light. I added about 3 hours of incandescent light in the house section of the tractor. This was a few days ago and still no eggs. So my question is, when should I expect the laying to start if the issue was indeed light? Or do I perhaps have another issue?
    Thanks for a great forum,
    Jim

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. jim-22

jim-22 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2011
    Cape Cod
    Great article, thanks. I now think that my know it all friends talked me out of my first suspicion: they stopped laying because of extreme cold, not lack of light. Extreme cold also means snow and ice in the run which they need to traverse to reach food and water. Anyway, the light I provide now also gives some heat. And we have had a thaw so they have dirt again. At least the hens are friendly and perky as ever. Maybe I shall construct an inside coop for the bad winter days. I have a shed that I could use. I chose the hens, however, to be cold hearty and it seems they are so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by